SkyDrive (now OneDrive) is the Cloud storage service provided by Microsoft. It can be used to store files, folders, documents, audio, video, etc. up to a great extend. Also SkyDrive is provided with a free storage of 5 GB. After the storage space is completely consumed, the user can either purchase more storage by purchasing any subscription plans. Google Drive is the storage service provided by Google for storing various data items. It comes with a free data storage space of 15 GB. This is a very attractive feature of Google Drive which makes the users to move from SkyDrive to Google Drive. In this feature we will be discussing about the needs and techniques to transfer files from SkyDrive to Google Drive.
Note: To transfer file from Google Drive to SkyDrive, SysTools G Drive to OneDrive migrator can be used.
User Query 1: I am working in a company of 100 employees. We use Office 365 services and thereby use SkyDrive for cloud storage. Now the company authorities have decided to switch from O365 to G Suite. Is there any possibility for transferring the files that are stored in SkyDrive to Google Drive? Any suggestions are accepted.
User Query 2: My SkyDrive free storage is almost completely consumed. I have heard that, if the cloud storage space become very low, there is a chance for corruption to occur. I don’t want this to happen. Some of my friends suggested me to switch to G Drive and on doing this, I have to migrate all the files from SkyDrive to Google Drive. I need a solution ASAP.
Reasons to Import SkyDrive to Google Drive
There can be many reasons by which users need to transfer files from SkyDrive to Google Drive. Of which some are:
- Complete consumption of SkyDrive storage
- Organization change from Office 365 to Google Apps
- Free storage of G Drive is much higher than that of SkyDrive
Technique to Transfer SkyDrive to Google Drive
For migrating data from SkyDrive to Google Drive, the better option is to make use of the desktop apps of both SkyDrive and Google Drive.
The steps that are to be followed to transfer files from SkyDrive to Google Drive are as follows:
Step 1:Download the files to Local using OneDrive for Desktop app
- Download & Run OneDrive Desktop application
- Configure the application with the Microsoft account credentials
- Choose the folders that needs to be synced from SkyDrive to Local folders
- Wait till all the files and folders to be downloaded to local
Step 2: Sync the local data to G Drive account using Backup & Sync
- Install & Run Backup & Sync (Desktop app of G Drive)
- Configure it using Google account credentials
- Choose the folders from Local which are to be synced with Drive
- Files will be uploaded to Drive with respect to the speed of Internet available for the user
Migrating from Office 365 to Google Apps is a trend seen now a days. Anyway this article conveys the methods and reasons for users to transfer files from SkyDrive to Google Drive. User, be wise enough to find any other technique also to easily import SkyDrive to Google Drive. Because the above mentioned technique can be tedious since it requires the installation of both applications and you know the importance of your data well than anyone else.