Let’s understand the process to backup Office 365 mailbox to PST in some local system. This would help those who value their crucial data saved on the server. There exist multiple ways to do this. One, by allowing the cache Exchange mode in MS Outlook that copy all mails as well as other email items in OST files and then for opening that saved file, Office 365 Export PST tool can be used to backup Office 365 emails to PST. O365 mailbox backup can be done from online MS Exchange’s email account with the help of its export-feature that allows saving of mailbox data including emails, calendars, contacts, etc. to PST file.
Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST Using PowerShell
- First, assign permissions for complete mailbox accessibility in MS Outlook.
- For example, backup is taken of some mailbox, email@example.com
- Account that opens in MS Outlook is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admin account let’s say is email@example.com for assigning complete permission
- Then, go to start menu
- Now, search PowerShell
- Select PowerShell
- Type commands
- Started MS Outlook with firstname.lastname@example.org id
- Wait a while for granting all permissions
- Check for mailbox also if it’s showing this email@example.com
- Then, start configuring offline settings, which can be done if you enable cache
- Exchange mode
- Set this for keeping all emails in offline mode
To proceed with offline settings:
- Click File menu
- Then, Account Settings for get into these settings
- Account-Setting window opens
- In the email tab here, click Change button
- Change-account-window opens
- Here, in this, check “Use-cached-exchange-mode” checkbox
- Set All to “Mail-to-keep-offline”
- Emails start getting downloaded
- Status can be checked as “all-folders-are-up-to-date”
- Status comes at the bottom pane when download completes
- All emails, calendar and other mailbox items download
Using Import-Export Wizard to Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST
- First, click on File menu at Outlook’s top-right corner
- Now, at the Left-Panel below info, you have to click Open & Export
- Click Import/Export
- And then, Import & Export wizard opens
- In Choose-an-action-to-perform section, select Export-to-a-file
- Click Next
- Go to Export-to-a-file
- In section, Create-a-file-of-type, select Outlook-Data-File (PST)
- Again, click Next
- Move to Export-Outlook-Data-File
- In section, ‘Select-the-folder-to-export-from
- In section, Save-Exported-file, give some path to export Office 365 mailbox data
- Now, select the option from the section, exporting-from-option
- Click Finish
- Now, it is prompted for setting new password for Outlook-Data-file (PST)
- If setting a password is not required, then simply click OK for exporting the mailbox data
- Once exported PST file is checked at that location, which is selected; one can compare PST file size with Office 365’s mailbox size
- Then, remove permission, which have been assigned user’s email account
- Use PowerShell commands, as follows:
- Remove Permission command: Remove-MailboxPermission –User firstname.lastname@example.org –Identity email@example.com –AccessRights FullAccess
- Remove PowerShell Session command: Remove-PSSession $Session
How to Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST – Automated Solution
The manual methods can fail in some situations as they are not foolproof and do not guarantee results always to download Office 365 emails to PST. They are slow and lengthy. Also, using manual ways demand a lot of technical expertise on the part of the end-user.
In light of such limitation of manual approaches, one can look for other methods alternatively, like download O365 Mailbox using some professional applications like Office 365 Exporter Tool in case any of the above manual solutions fails.
Therefore, one of the best solution is to move to professional tool where users are able to backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST. For that one can download the 3rd-party Office 365 Backup tools from their official websites, check the FREE demo and then buy the best one.
Features of Automated Professional Tool
- Backup Office 365 mailbox to PST, EML & MSG format
- Option to take backup with or without Admin account
- Split PST option to generate small size pst files of Office 365 data
- Backup Office 365 shared mailbox data to PST file.
- Maintains the data integrity and folder hierarchy during backup
- Category and Date based filters to backup only selective data
- Doesn’t require any command line knowledge for backup
Quick Working Steps for Office 365 Mailbox Backup
- Download & Run the tool on your machine
- Choose the login option: Admin or User
- Select the Email format as PST & split PST options for backup
- Choose the Category of data need to be backed up
- Browse destination location to save the backup data & Start.
Manual solution is good to archive Office 365 mailbox to PST but is a bit lackluster method of doing this. This is because that manual method, even though free, but are not at all free from their pitfalls, like they are sluggish, time-taxing, and also not free from data loss risks while archive Office 365 email to PST is done.
Results are anyway not a guarantee in all cases when you use a manual method, which is the most repelling minus point, which makes other methods more attractive, even though if they come for a price. The 3rd-party tool on the other hand, to backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST is a way better option without any limitations observed otherwise with manual ways.