Offline Outlook Data File: Technical Overview
Offline data file (.ost) is basically the copy of files found in a mailbox on a system that is having MS Exchange. It becomes easy to take the folder from the location present on the server, work with the matter of file when not connected to the network. The moment one is connected again, update file and its respective server folder to make the matter look alike. It is termed as synchronizing files and folders. One can even add, delete, and modify the content of an offline file. One can send messages included in offline Outbox. Also one can preview matter of the offline public files. In addition to it, all new messages are kept in Inbox present on the server, and even other people may add, delete, and modify content in public folders. One is unaware of these changes until you synchronize on the server.
The synchronized information comprises of following:
- Headers: Header is a descriptive item only on the emails. It provides information like name of sender, subject of the email, time and size of message.
- Full items: Full item comprises of header, body of message, and attachments, e.g. embedded objects, pictures and many more.
“I have been working on Outlook since two years. I have so many OST files in my system. A few days back, my system got corrupted and my entire data vanished from the system. My contacts got deleted and I tried to restore them but of no user. Is there any way to get the contacts back? I need to extract contacts from OST files. Is there any possible way to retrieve an address book from Outlook OST?”
If you want to pull contacts from OST files, the best-suited approach is OST Recovery Tool. Using the tool, you can easily extract contacts from OST file as it even offers users with an option to convert OST to PST. In addition to it, the tool can easily provide the users with a preview of OST file messages like emails, address books, to-do lists etc. It does not impose any restrictions on the file size in terms of recovering OST contacts. Users can even use the date filter option to restore OST contacts. The tool is robust enough, that it maintains the metadata of the files like read/unread status, message dates, etc. The software is compatible with all the versions of Outlook and Windows.
Know How to Extract Contacts from OST File
- Firstly, you need to install the SysTools OST recovery software on your machine and then start the application.
- For selection of OST file, hit on Add File button.
- After hitting the Add File button, a window pop-up opens and you need to navigate OST file location from local system.
- Click on browse button and a pop-up appears from where the OST files can be selected.
- Once, you add the OST file, the tool performs a quick scan of files and recovers data from OST files. If the OST file is damaged, the tool gives you genuine feedback regarding the files and afterward provides the option for advanced scanning. The advance scan option is completely useful if your OST file is completely damaged. In spite of it, the tool provides users with Temp Folder Path Option. It allows the users to minimize installation size drive by shifting temp folder path to a specific drive.
- A screen is displayed while scanning of files takes place. Users can get the details like scanned files name, overall size (in KB), and file creation date. If you need to break the scanning process, click on the stop button.
- Afterwards the scanning process completes, Opt on Yes and save the scanned files.
- The tool provides option to Export Contacts.
- Users can easily select contacts one by one and then export them.
- While transferring the contacts you can easily select the file type of its own like PST, MSG, EML.
- You can even export multiple files too. All you need to do is, select Export button.
- The tool provides item count while exporting the OST contacts.
- The tool even provides the users with Save as file type option along with destination folder. You can easily opt for any destination folder of your own choice. In addition to it, you can even select the drive where you need to store the exported contacts.
- Finally, after completion of the files, you can easily click get a message Export Process complete. Click on OK button. The entire process is complete and you can exit to the main window.
Summing It Up
The article solely tells about the method to retrieve contacts from OST files. Users can easily go through the entire article to understand entire process. There is no manual approach to extract contacts from OST files. So, OST Recovery is the best alternative to extract address books from OST files. Users should use the tool without any hassle.