SQL Server is a Relational Database Management System that is compatible with the standard SQL Languages. However, the SQL Server uses the T-SQL, its own implementation. In addition, it has various built-in functions in order to make the users activities in managing database much easier. Therefore, most of the projects, including important database are carried out in association with the Structured Query Language. However, there are some situations in which users while using SQL Server suddenly received a message that is SQL database stuck in suspect mode. If the server is in the suspect mode, then it becomes really difficult for a user to perform any operation on the database. Therefore, it becomes necessary to first repair SQL server Suspect database to perform any transactions. Hence, in this post, after understanding the cause that results in database in suspect mode, the techniques to recover/fix suspect database in SQL Server 2016/ 2012/ 2008/ 2005 are covered.
What is SQL Server Suspect Mode?
There are some situations in which the database of the SQL Server becomes inaccessible. The reason behind this is any hardware issue or background issue on the local machine where the SQL database is stored. If this situation occurs that means the database is in the suspect mode. All this make it difficult for a user to start using the database. Therefore, to repair SQL Server Database, users check the error log to find the exact reason behind it.
Error Messages When SQL Server Database is Marked as Suspect
All possible error messages along with error code which clear SQL database is in suspect mode are:
- Error 3414, Severity21, State 1: When this error message appeared, it means the database IMG is prevented from being restarted and mainly appear while recovery of database.
- Error9003, Severity 20, State 9: If the LDF files are unable to match with the MDF file for the SQL server then, a user receives this error message.
Factors Responsible for SQL Server Suspect Database in 2012/ 2008
Every error must have some reason behind it, same is the case with the suspect mode. Therefore, in this section, all possible reasons due to which SQL database is marked as suspect are discussed.
- The most common reason is the corruption in the SQL Server database.
- Abnormal or sudden shutdown of SQL Server or due to power failure
- SQL Server is unable to recover database because of lack of disk space.
- Any interruption due to the third-party tool can also cause the problem.
- The Operating system is unable to locate the database file of SQL Server.
- SQL Server database is not able to access the device, which stores LDF files.
- Another possible reason is the system hardware failure or missing log files.
Manual Techniques to Perform SQL Server Suspect Database Recovery
One can recover SQL Server 2012 suspect database manually using SQL Server Management Studio. Follow the steps given below to repair SQL Server Database:
- First of all, connect the SQL Server database with the help of SQL Server Management Studio to locate the suspected database
- After that, use T-SQL script to reset the state of database for the SUSPECTED database
SQL> execute sp_resetstatus ‘test_dr’;(dr: Disaster Recovery)
- The suspected flag of the respected database is turned off with the help of this T-SQL statement. As the query executed the warning message is given by the database
- Now, you setup the database in the emergency mode. This will change the database into read_only state and without having admin access no one can else use the database
SQL> alter database db_name> set emergency;
- This will change the database from suspected mode to emergency mode. After this, you need to execute the consistency check operation with the help of T-SQL Script
SQL> DBCC CHECKDB database_name
- This will check the consistency and accuracy of the entire database along with correctly storing and retrieving of the data check. In addition, it also checks the originality of the data offered by the database
- After this, use the T-SQL statement to alter the database to the single user mode and rollback immediately
SQL> alter database Database_name set_single_user with rollback immediate;
- Now, use the DBCC CHECKDB to check the logical and physical integrity of all objects in the database
SQL> DBCC CHECKDB database_name repair_allow_data_loss
- Now, its time to alter the permission to access the database and allow others also to access it. To do the same, run the following alter database query.
SQL> alter database database_name set_multiuser
- In last, perform the consistency check and make sure that the recovered database is currently working in a good condition.
Alternative Solution to Repair SQL Server Suspect Database
The above-discussed manual solution may fail sometimes whenever the level of the corruption increases. Therefore, in order to have the foolproof solution, it is always suggested to go for a commercial solution i.e. SQL Recovery tool. It is software that is designed to remove all type of corruption from the SQL database file of SQL Server 2016/ 2012/ 2008/ 2005. Hence, if you want to remove the corruption you can easily recover SQL server database from suspect mode to fix the data in corruption mode.
Also Read: How to Restore Master Database in SQL Server?
The Bottom Line
After understanding the exact reason behind the SQL Server Suspect database, we have discussed various techniques to repair suspect database in SQL Server. However, the manual solution does not always prove to be the right choice. Therefore, it is recommended to go for the third-party tool i.e. SQL Recovery software in order to have a satisfactory result. It fix the suspect database SQL Server 2016/ 2012/ 2008/ 2005 and all below versions without any hassle.