The PST file in outlook contain all Emails, Contacts, Messages. It is easy to Import Outlook PST to Exchange Mailbox using configuration process but is it possible vice versa. Hence, to transfer pst to exchange mailbox we require PowerShell cmdlet. But before we move to perform the import procedure. Let us learn about prerequisites for this process
Prerequisites to Import Outlook pst to exchange mailbox PowerShell
1. Assign Mailbox Import Export Role to user
To do so, run New-MailboxImportRequest cmdlet. The syntax
2. Once above cmdlet run precisely then close and open Exchange Management Shell. Now, a user can easily run MailboxImportRequest cmdlet and migrate pst to exchange mailbox PowerShell.
Now, The Import process can be performed in two ways to Import Outlook PST to Exchange Mailbox.
1. Migrate individual pst to exchange mailbox using PowerShell
2. Transferring Bulk pst to exchange mailbox via PowerShell
Import Individual pst to Exchange Mailbox using PowerShell
To move an individual pst file. The user needs to run New-MailboxImportRequest cmdlet. The Syntax for cmdlet as follows:
UNC File Path (PST): \\SBSDC\PST\Admin.pst
2. To check whether the import command runs properly or not run Get-MailboxImportRequest cmdlet.
The syntax of above command doesn’t require any parameter to transfer pst to exchange mailbox using PowerShell.
3. In an example given below all files are moved to Target Root Folder named as Recovered Files.
Import Bulk pst to Exchange Mailbox using PowerShell
To migrate bulk pst files to exchange mailbox database run cmdlet given below:
The result of above cmdlet is shown as below:
If you want to see status of Import Request then run following cmdlet
This command will provide all information related to exchange in an easy way once user move pst to exchange mailbox via PowerShell method.
Alternative Solution to Import Outlook PST to Exchange Mailbox
Users can use the Exchange Import Tool provides by SysTools which is capable to import PST to Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 / 2003 in a hassle freeway without any trouble. This utility import Outlook data file – notes, tasks, mails, journals, contacts, calendars to Exchange without using any PowerShell cmdlet.
The above solution allows a user to import pst file on server but as it is observed it is the long and time-consuming process. If there are large no of pst file and user need to import specific information, Then above solution cannot work properly. Although a Tool to import Outlook PST to Exchange mailbox can effectively perform the above procedure. Also, It eases user task in by providing them with easy user interface and functionality.