Many organizations sustain their business on real-time sharing of documents, files, and information. They use SharePoint to create websites for storing, sharing and accessing data from any device. To upgrade to cloud service, one needs SharePoint Online migration checklist. It is obvious choice to meet ongoing trends and stay updated with current technology. All this and more has been discussed in this post. It mentions all checkpoints and necessities that users may need. It can be a reference guide for administrators deciding to export their business intelligence, personal sites or Newsfeed. If in case users want to migrate On-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Server or Office 365 they can try SysTools SharePoint Organiser.
Overview of SharePoint to SharePoint Migration
It might seem very difficult to perform this conversion. The most challenging part would be to plan the transfer of vast loads of crucial company data. After this, administrators need to decide on an appropriate method for the migration from following:
- Automatic: – As the name suggests, it requires no manual intervention. It runs only on certain ‘sceneries’. These are predefined values that may not be suited to each and every organization. For example, Office 365 API, custom coded tools etc.
- Manual: – It is a simple and safe way to perform the migration. It involves copy and pasting each content one at a time which can be tiresome. It increases the work for a single person. It is also risky undertaking as humans are prone to errors.
The best option would be the combination of both these operations. The customized operation that can run automatically would be wonderful.
SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 Migration Steps
There is no manual way to directly upgrade to online version from SharePoint on-premise site. It can be only done by upgrading custom farm before making actual change. Here are steps that are to be followed precisely:
- Delete all unused features before SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online migration.
- All latest updates must be installed in SharePoint 2010 with latest service pack and patches.
- Finally delete users, sites and all other data from SharePoint 2010.
SharePoint Online Migration Checklist
This has been broadly classified into four phases:
1. Analysing Data Store of Current Environment
This includes sites
- List and libraries
- Custom solutions
- Users and groups used
- Retention policies and other data
2. Clean Up Old Environment for SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 migration
- Remove accounts no longer being used
- Delete any unused content, site columns, and workflows
- Remove sites, pages which have not been updated for over past few years
- Remove duplicate content
- Find large sites and break them down into multiple site collections
- Reorganize Lists and Libraries with too many columns
3. Prepare New Environment for SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online migration
- Map destination’s architecture
- Optimize new SharePoint Servers’ performance [At install]
- Set up each Web Application
- Verify permissions and grant rules
- Back up old data
- Check by restoring archive
- Delete any corrupt data
- Run Test Migration
- Setup new search topology
- Import user profiles
- Create plan for metadata content
- Convert customizations to new model/destination
4. Inform End Users About SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online migration
- Notify each staff about downtime involved in entire process
- Inform them about benefit of conversion and its value for them
- Possible changes in environment
- URL and bookmarks affected
- Document References (Excel macros, etc.)
- Estimated timeline for migration
- Create sample sites for hands-on preview
Perform SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 Migration
- Stop running workflows that are to be converted
- Use a third-party tool if necessary
- Test new environment
- Create backup of new system
- Remove access to old SharePoint
- Run full crawl
The growth of any company can be based on its necessity to meet growing trends. It is important that organizations move to cloud solutions for better infrastructure and secure environment. There is a SharePoint Online migration checklist for all those with intentions to subscribe to Office 365 plan. It can be useful in real-time collaboration of web pages, documents, lists, calendars, and data. It can be used to build powerful, workflow-enabled solutions to share files with a team. One just needs an O365 account and export their workplace information directly to the new platform.