“With the trending news full of politicians, celebrities, journalists, and other individuals whose smartphones and email accounts got hacked, it is a regular reminder that we have to be vigilant towards our tenant online security.”
It is not possible for online service providers and customers to ensure 100% safety at the time of internet access. Therefore, here comes the 4 most important online data protection practices to keep cloud users safe in this digitization world.
- Variations in Account Password – First and foremost, ensure that you are using different password on different websites you use. When 116 million of LinkedIn profiles were hacked in the year 2012, the account credentials of those users end up online usage in the year 2016. It happened because those 116 million users were using the same set of credentials in Gmail account also. Suppose you are having three social media accounts – Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; in this scenario, you will not keep same credentials for all these three accounts. To achieve cloud protection, you have to create different email id and password for each social media account. So, this online security measure recommends business as well as home-based cloud users to create different account credentials on different social media or any other website.
- Use Standard Pattern of Password – Online users should create multilingual type of password to protect their accounts. Make use of a base security password, which comprises of both special characters as well as numbers like CloudCode$0406. Try to keep the first letter of password in uppercase mode and make a combination, which is unpredictable, even for your closed ones. Also, you can use the first two alphabets of the website domain or set first two vowels of the respective site. Suppose you are making an account on Google then, take out first two vowels from ‘google.com’ i.e., oo and then, create a password like CloudCodes$oo0406. Apart from all these guidelines, you can customize the pattern of security text and use them where ever applicable.
- Monthly Change Account Password – To understand this online security measure, imagine a situation where the website gets hacked and the websites holder doesn’t notify its customers about the same until three years. In this condition, customers can decrease chances for hackers to attempt their threat on their account by monthly changing security passwords. With the emergence of the 1st date of each month, begin changing existing security credential of your account. This will definitely remove the chances of cyberthreats up to large extent.
- Use Two Factor Authentication – One of the smart way to enhance existing online security is to make use of two factor authentication (or MFA) option in your accounts. This solution comprises of two facts – A thing you know (account password), and a thing you have (like a smartphone). Cloud service providers like Microsoft, Apple, and Google supports two-factor authentication and provide it as a feature to consumers. It essentially requests the account holder to provide password at the login time, and then enter the verification code sent on his or her registered mobile number. This helps the web-based email client service to learn that the login device is authentic and can be used to access the account.
- Eliminate the Use of Public WiFi – Public WiFi network could be problematic for protection conscientious folks. Suppose you are sitting in a cafe and doing some sort of business work; it is quite possible that people residing in cafe WiFi network can read packets online and hence the confidential data too. Therefore, here we are suggesting to extremely avoid performing bank transactions or business operations on the public or unsecured network. Even if it is urgent to perform these sort of task through public WiFi, first of all, establish a VPN connection for traffic encryption. This will unable other network people to read and understand the data over the network.
- Avoid Synchronization of Accounts – Cloud security experts strongly recommend all business officials to avoid synchronization of their one online account with another. For example – If it is not necessary, don’t sync your Instagram profile with your Facebook account. This will ensure one thing that even if customer’s Instagram profile gets hacked then, Facebook profile is still protected. Imaging a scenario where both Facebook and Instagram are synced, it might result in the hacking of both social media accounts simultaneously.
Make Online Security Automatic With CloudCodes
All the measures told to achieve online data protection are manual and needs to be adopted by officials. But most of the times, organization employees forget to keep these points in mind due to which things get complicated. Therefore, here we recommend use of CloudCodes CASB Solution! This solution provides all the online security measures, which are required to work securely on cloud. If something goes wrong, it immediately takes the action defined by the product controller. The solution also comprises different cloud password policies that are required to create a strong account password, and change it periodically. All this means that CloudCodes solution is reducing the burden of employees, enabling them to focus more on their strategic work.