Using New-MailboxRepairRequest to Repair Exchange 2016 Mailbox Database
Microsoft has launched the latest version of Exchange server i.e., Exchange server 2016 with new cmdlet New-MailboxRepairRequest to repair Exchange mailboxes. New-MailboxRepairRequest exchange 2016 command is a successor of the Exchange Isinteg tool. Exchange Administrators faced numerous issues such as wrong public folder counts in mailbox, a problem with search items and issue to access public folders. These problems can be solved by running New-MailboxRepairRequest cmdlet. This command can be used to repair a particular mailbox or a complete Exchange database.
Important Points To Remember
- New-MailboxRepairRequest command works online, so there is no requirement for dismounting the Exchange databases to perform needed repairs and error fixes.
- This cmdlet allows repairing in a single mailbox or in the complete database without need of database dismounting.
- When the process starts by executing New-MailboxRepairRequest exchange 2016 then it cannot be stopped except the Exchange database becomes dismounted.
Mailbox Corruptions Handel By New-MailboxRepairRequest
New-MailboxRepairRequest can be used to fix mailbox corruption in the below-mentioned cases:
- Provisioned Folder: This is the error in the folder structure of a database and it can be handled by this new cmdlet easily.
- Search Folder: This mailbox corruption occurs due to corrupt files. Search folder issues can be solved by running New-MailboxRepairRequest.
- Aggregate Counts: This error occurs due to returning of incorrect number of items and incorrect size of folders.
- Folder View: This error comes due to view of that folder, which fail to return correct content.
User’s Queries To Repair Exchange 2016 Mailboxes
“When I was trying to search some item in my Exchange mailbox then I found some issues in searching and I am unable to get the correct result. I want to know that how I can use New-MailboxRepairRequest command to repair Exchange 2016 database mailbox. Is there anyone who can help me to recover my Exchange mailbox?”
“I have found an error in the folder structure of a mailbox in Exchange server. I want to repair my Exchange mailbox by using New-MailboxRepairRequest cmdlet but I have no idea that how I can execute that command. Please help me, with help of the example. Thanks in advance.”
Prerequisites Before Executing New-MailboxRepairRequest for Exchange 2016
There are some permissions that are needed to repair the MS Exchange database before executing New-MailboxRepairRequest command. These are mentioned as below:
- Grant access permission to various parameters such as Mailbox, Database, Corruption Type, StoreMailbox, Archive, etc.
- No need to dismount a database to fix error and repairing mailboxes
Functionality of New-MailboxRepairRequest Command
Let us consider an example to understand the functionality of New-MailboxRepairRequest cmdlet.
- Detects and repairs Folder Views for the mailbox peter
New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox email@example.com -CorruptionType FolderView
- Detect and repair Provisioned Folder and Search Folder corruption issue from John Mailbox. The below-mentioned command does not restore the corrupt Exchange mailbox.New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org -CorruptionType ProvisionedFolder, SearchFolder –DetectOnly.
- Detect and repair Aggregate Counts for all mailbox on database Example-DB22
New-MailboxRepairRequest -Database Example-DB22 -CorruptionType AggregateCounts
- Detect and then restore numerous corruption types for Jennie Mailbox and archive redundant database items
New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox Jennie -CorruptionType ProvisionedFolder, SearchFolder, AggregateCounts, Folderview –Archive
- Create variable to identify user Jennie’s mailbox.
$Mailbox = Get-MailboxStatistics Jennie
- Now, use this variable to specify the values for Database and StoreMailbox parameters to generate a request. It will detect and repair all existing corruption issues.
New-MailboxRepairRequest -Database $Mailbox.Database -StoreMailbox $Mailbox.MailboxGuid -CorruptionType ProvisionedFolder, SearchFolder, AggregateCounts, Folderview
Alternate Solution To Repair Exchange Database
Apart from New-MailboxRepairRequest cmdlet, there is an alternative approach i.e. Exchange Recovery tool available to recover Exchange database. This is a third party software, which can recover deleted email from Exchange database. This utility can also repair corrupted, damaged, dismounted and offline Exchange database files. It supports Exchange 2016 and all below versions of it. There is no file size limitation with this tool so it can recover Exchange database file of any size.
Sometimes, Exchange users database files are corrupted or damaged due to some causes. So in this situation, there is a need of recovery of Exchange database occurs. Therefore, in this post, we have discussed two methods to repair Exchange mailboxes. One is manual approach and another is automated solution. Manually, Exchange database can be repaired by executing New-MailboxRepairRequest command and alternatively the user can use third party utility i.e. Exchange Recovery tool.