Microsoft Outlook has a native database file known as Personal Folder Files (.pst) which contains all the emails, calendars, contacts, journals and notes in single file. Also, the Outlook PST contains the information which resides on the Microsoft Exchange Server which is EDB database file which contains all the user information. In case if the Outlook PST file gets misplaced the Exchange Server administrator can export the mailbox to Outlook PST so that data is available to the user immediately. Users can use the ExMerge tool which extracts the Outlook data from the mailboxes on Exchange Server. If the exchange mailbox exceeded size limit i.e 2GB.
Here, we will discuss ways on how to use ‘ExMerge’ when the Outlook mailbox size limit reached 2GB.
Ways to use ‘ExMerge’ When the Exchange Mailbox Exceeded Size Limit:
The ways to use ‘ExMerge’ when the exchange mailbox exceeded size limit are as follows:
- Go to the directory where the Exchange Server is installed and then search for the ExMerge .exe file in that directory and double-click on it.
- Now when the ExMerge wizard gets launched then click on Extract or Import and after that click on the Next button. The Next window is displayed and select Step1 and then click on Next button.
- After that user must type the Exchange Server name in the Exchange Server text box and then click on Options. After that, it will display user with a new window which allows them to ExMerge the pieces of email information from the Exchange Server.
- Now select the Data tab. In that specify the desired date ranges to extract the email file in parts. In order to provide the range, user must consider the total range of their email files. After that, extract the emails in two partitions and if the total range is one year than in that case the user should choose six months. After that click on OK button and it leads to the main window of ExMerge and finally click on the Next button.
- Now select the preferred language from the Default Locale drop-down and then click on the next button. Then specify the location where the extracted emails are to be saved on the system hard drive and then click on Next button.
- After the summary appears click on Save option. Once the process is finished the ExMerge will save the part of the email on the system hard drive at the desired location.
Note: If the above-stated steps do not work. Then use the third-party software EDB to Outlook PST converter to export Exchange mailbox to PST. The software easily exports all the offline / dismounted Exchange Server mailboxes of any size in a simplified manner.
Use Alternate Solution to Export Large Exchange Mailboxes from Offline EDB File
SysTools EDB to PST Converter Software is the advanced tool that is used by various IT professionals and Exchange as well as novice users to export bulk Exchange mailboxes to the Outlook PST file from offline/dismounted Exchange database file in a simplified manner. This utility doesn’t import any file size limitatios and users can easily load any size of offline EDB file and export Exchange mailbox to PST file in bulk in a single shot.
The software provides scan mode option i.e. Quick and Advance scanning mode which recovers Exchange database files from corruption with no data loss. To remove the minimal corruption users can select Quick scan and to recover highly corrupted EDB file choose the advance scan mode.
After recovery, users can extract Exchange EDB to PST and other file formats in a simplified way. The software auto-generates the export report which contains the success and fail count of exported Exchange mailbox data.
The Microsoft Outlook has limited the size of the Outlook file i.e 2 GB. Also if the data increases the size limit, then the Outlook users are unable to use that particular Outlook PST file. Even after the user delete some of the data from that particular Outlook file then also MS Outlook or Exchange Server is unable to synchronize that particular PST file. SO, for that we have discussed some few steps which help the user to use ExMerge to get rid of exchange mailbox exceeded size limit. In case, if these above-mentioned steps do not work properly then use the third-party software to extract Outlook data from the mailboxes on Exchange server.
Can the ExMerge leave the original data intact and instead make the copy of that data?
Yes, it can be done if you take the backup of the mailbox in the Outlook PST file using ExMerge. The brick level backup of the mailbox is done using the ExMerge feature only.
Can I recover the corruption from the Outlook PST file using the ExMerge feature?
Yes, the ExMerge feature has the ability to merge the Exchange Server data and recover it from the corruption if found to get rid of exchange mailbox exceeded size limit.
Do I need to install the Microsoft Outlook to use the ExMerge feature?
Yes, the Microsoft Outlook needs to be installed in the system to access the ExMerge feature and handle the large size PST files.
I Have a 3 GB size Outlook PST file will the ExMerge work with my PST file?
No, the ExMerge won’t be able to handle the Outlook PST files with the size more than 2 GB. It will make the Exchange Server corrupt due to it’s large size and it will not be able to perform any operations on that particular large PST file. Plus the ExMegre works with the private folders only & do not work with public folders.