Summary: A step-by-step Gmail to Office 365 migration guide for administrators. So, the automatic tool is described in detail along with a complete manual guide. The Gmail account is considered as a business Gmail account ie G Suite.
With Microsoft offering Office 365 applications on a monthly rental basis, many organizations have decided to move to O365. Every Office suite application is available at a low price, including Outlook 365 Mail. However, it has revolutionized the way people send and receive email. Now, all communication happens through cloud servers which can be accessed through any browser on tablet, mobile or PC machine.
This has enabled many users to migrate their email account from Gmail to Microsoft Office 365. Many organizations access email through Google mail servers. Therefore, this post describes all the steps required for Gmail to Microsoft 365 migration. Now, let us now start with the migration process.
Table of Content
- Things to Consider for Migration
- Automated Reliable Method
- Guide for Gmail to Microsoft 365 Migration
- Steps to Use Tool on Mac Desktop
- Manually Transfer Gmail Emails to Office 365
- Pre-Migration Phase
- How to Extract Gmail Email Data?
- Configure Microsoft 365 Account
- Post Migration Status
- Limitations of Manual Strategy
- Conclusion of the Blog
- Common Asked Questions by Users
Things to Consider Before Gmail to Office 365 Migration
There are certain points to remember before moving to the migration, like
- Initially, keep administrative credentials for Microsoft Office 365 mailbox handy.
- Also, download and Install Outlook 2021/ 2019 / 2016 / 2013 on the computer machine.
- Configure Office 365 mailbox on Outlook for Windows machine.
- Additionally, make sure to check the details of the both Gmail & O365 account and its credentials?
- Also, keep a list of total number of inboxes to migrate in case of multiple accounts migration?
- Along with these, decide what folder exactly you need to migrate during batch migration?
Use an Expert Solution for Gmail to Office 365 Migration
Manual resolution cannot be done by the user without any technical support. Hence, for these types of users, it is recommended to go for an automated solution to make this migration task easier and more direct. One such solution is SysTools IMAP to Office 365 Migration Tool. This utility allows an easy and hassle free transfer of business Gmail mailbox to Office 365 account without losing any data.
It is a proven solution that even a non-technical person can easily use. It is a user-friendly application with simple features that can migrate Gmail email to Office 365 along with contacts and calendar items.
Instant Steps for the Transfer Gmail to Microsoft 365
First download the Gmail to Office 365 migration tool on supported Windows OS and launch it. Follow the steps then-
- Initially, choose Source (IMAP) and Destination (Office 365) for migration.
- Go to the Workload section and choose the email category to migrate and set date filters if necessary for specific migration.
- Then, in the Source tab, enter Gmail user ID and password and click on Validate icon for authorization.
- Now, in the Destination tab, enter email id and app id for Office 365 account and click Validate.
- After validation, from the User tab, choose Source and Destination user mapping.
- Now, select the user and apply priority on each user, click on Validate button for authentication of user accounts.
- Finally, click on Start Migration button to start the process to migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 / Microsoft 365.
- After migration, click on Download Report button to generate detailed and summary report.
Quick Guide to Use Tool on Mac Desktop
Download the Gmail to Office 365 migration on Mac OS, follow the step by step guide-
- From the welcome software’s interface, read all prerequisites and follow them, tap continue icon.
- Next, select the Gmail option from the list as a host name for IMAP source account. And put the Gmail user ID and password for the validation of account.
- After this, select Office 365 option for the destination and validate its credentials.
- Tap on Add to map both the accounts together or just add more accounts for a batch migration.
- Lastly, hit the Start Migration option in order to start the process and check the on-going process.
Manual Steps to Transfer Gmail Emails to Office 365 Easily
Let’s start with the steps to migrate emails from business Gmail to Office 365 account:
Step 1: Preparation Phase
- First, sign in to Paid Gmail account for configuring 2-step verification process.
- Go to Google Apps >> My Account and select Sign-In and Security.
- Thereafter, under the Password & sign-in method, click on the arrow next to 2-step verification.
- Now, from the Signing in with 2-step verification page, select Start Setup.
- Next, re-enter password if asked.
- From Set up your phone section, validate a personal mobile number and select Verify.
- Afterwards, from ‘Trust this computer’ step, select Next to perform Gmail migration for Office 365.
- When asked about the 2-step verification, select Confirm.
- Again, go back to Google Apps >> My Account >> Sign-In and Security.
- Under the Password & sign-in method, click on the arrow next to App Passwords.
- From the App passwords page, in the Select App drop-down box select Other (custom name).
- Finally, set a name for the password and click Generate.
2nd Step: Pre-Migration Phase
- First, open the Outlook application of any latest version on desktop.
- Then, go to File >> Info >> Add Account to configure the Gmail account.
- Now, from the Auto Account Setup, enter the name, Gmail username, and password and click Next.
- If this does not work, enter the App password instead and click Done.
3rd Step: How to Extract Gmail Data?
- First, open Microsoft Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013.
- Then, go to File >> Open and Export >> Import/Export.
- From the Import and Export Wizard dialogue box, select Export to a File and click Next.
- After this, from the Export to a file section, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Next, select the Gmail account and select Include Subfolders option.
- Then, select Next to migrate emails from Gmail to Office 365.
- Next, browse a folder location on desktop where the PST file will be saved.
- Set a name for the file and click OK.
- Under Options header, select an appropriate method to deal with duplicates.
- Finally, click on Finish button.
- If asked to set a password to the new PST file, click Cancel.
4th Step: Configure Office 365 Account
- Again, open the Outlook desktop application.
- Afterwards, move to the File >> Info >> Add Account to configure the Microsoft 365 account.
- Now, in the Auto Account Setup, add the required name, email address, and password and tap on the Next.
- But, in case of failure of this process, enter the App password instead and click Done.
5th Step: Post-Migration Phase for Gmail to Office 365 Migration
- First, launch Outlook to migrate Gmail account to Office 365 mailbox.
- Then, go to File >> Open and Export >> Import / Export.
- After this, from the Import and Export Wizard dialogue box, select Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Thereafter, from Import to a File section, select Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) >> Next.
- Next, Browse to a folder location where the PST file is saved and click OK.
- Under Options, select an appropriate method of dealing with duplicates.
- Then, click Next to migrate Gmail to Office 365.
- Here, select the Office 365 account from Import items into other folder option.
- Finally, click Finish button to complete the migration process.
Wait for a few hours and then, check whether Gmail emails are in Office 365 account.
Limitations of Manual Process
To migrate Gmail to Office 365 with the manual solution, there are some limitations faced by a user, such as:
- Time-Consuming: The manual process can take days depending on mailbox size.
- Technical Expertise Required: Some technical assistance is required to perform steps without data loss.
- Lengthy: It is a long and tiring process to migrate all emails into Microsoft Office 365.
Read More: Learn the best way to migrate Zoho to Gmail Account
However, lots of people and organizations are looking for solutions to migrate Gmail email to Office 365. Hence, in this article, we have targeted a complete Gmail to Office 365 migration guide. So, for which we have shared manual and automated solutions to help the users. Though you can choose any method as per your convenience, but we recommend to choose the automatic method.
Read More: Learn the best way to migrate GoDaddy to Gmail Account
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- What things should I keep in mind before migration?
To migrate emails successfully to Office 365 you must have prepared all the required details as suggested above.
Q- How do I migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 safely?
- Download the tool on Mac OS desktop.
- Choose IMAP source as Gmail option.
- Select IMAP destination as Office 365, validate it.
- Apply date filters and permissions for folder migration.
- Finally, hit Start Migration option to quickly start the process.
Q- How many mailboxes can I migrate from Gmail to Office 365?
Microsoft allows user to migrate up to 2000 mailboxes from on-premises Exchange organization to Microsoft Office 365 through cutover migration. However, it is recommended to migrate only 150 at a time. Otherwise, the process will start to malfunction and take a long time to complete.