As we know, a tenant is the domain account that is attached to the Office 365 Suite. The administrator of a tenant, having the benefit of using all the features offered in the subscription plan, also takes care of the migration part. Whenever, there is a requirement of migrating user mailboxes, the administrator has to make all the preparations.
But, why do users migrate mailboxes from one tenant to another Office 365? Well, that may be due to merging with other organizations or enterprises. When a business merges with another business, the user mailboxes are then transferred to another tenant. This is why, we are here to discuss the basics that the admin is going to need for the procedure.
There are some pre-requisites that are to be considered before executing the migration task. We will explain a simple approach that can help with an easy operation to transfer mailboxes. You shall also find the steps for the transfer process in the section later. Let’s get started!
Instant Solution on How to Migrate Mailboxes Between Office 365 Tenant
Here, we have this easy-to-use solution that beats the working of the manual procedure since it takes a lot of time, days even, and required a lot of technical expertise. There may be users who have no knowledge in this arena and are finding it difficult to perform the task for transferring the data. This solution is also recommended by experts for a trouble-free migration.
This is the Office 365 Migrator using which you can easily migrate the entire mailbox or any item from the mailbox such as Emails, Contacts, Calendars, Task, Categories, and Documents. There are also options to export the archive folder from the accounts. Let’s check out the steps for the migration.
Migrate Mailboxes from One Tenant to Another Office 365 Using the Tool
First, check out the pre-requisites of the software that include the following:
- Make sure the destination user(s) are already created at the destination admin account.
- Creation of project in MS Azure, application permission and application ID are a must.
Once you have these, you can go through the steps listed below:
1. Launch and Run the software and click on the Activate button on bottom left corner of the windows. Choose the Setup tab and select Office 365 as Source and Destination.
2. Mark the categories you want to export and then choose the Date-Filter option for every category if required. Enable the Use Group Mapping option.
3. Enter the credentials for Source Office 365 and Validate to learn how to migrate mailboxes between Office 365 tenant.
4. Input the Destination Office 365 credentials, hit Validate and click on the Next button for moving forward.
5. Select the Fetch Users option and hit Continue for the next step. Enter the Destination emails to start the migration process.
6. Set the Priorities as needed, click on the Validate button and hit Start Migration to initiate the operation.
The software will complete the task and show the status of the process and an export report cane be generated if required. Also, users can choose to stop the process in between as per convenience by clicking on the Stop Migration button.
The Date-Filter provided by the tool to migrate mailboxes from one tenant to another Office 365 allows users to export data selectively from the mailboxes. You can set a date from and to for exporting data from the required time-zone.
There is an option to Re-Run Migration after performing the transfer process and offers 3 modes:
- Retry Failed Items: Option to export failed or skipped item from the previous export process.
- Re-Run Full Migration: To run the entire migration procedure again, you can choose this feature.
- Delta Migration: In case you receive new emails, the software can easily export the newly received data from the mailbox using this function.
Here, we have another method which is a lengthy process. We will be mentioning all the steps of preparation to give users a basic idea on what needs to be done.
How to Migrate Mailboxes Between Office 365 Tenant Manually?
Check out the following steps:
1. Preparing the Domain
Make sure you have licenses and admin accounts are created in both source and target platforms. User mailboxes to be created, and distribution groups in target. Perform, AD DS consolidation and synchronization with source and target.
2. Verifying the Domain
Verify target tenant and add the source domain in the admin center of the target to create TXT records in DNS.
3. Schedule the Migration
List of user mailboxes to be generated and create CSV for mapping. Lowest value of TTL to be noted and disable directory synchronization.
4. Migration Process
Stop the inbound flow for securing the tenant by changing the primary MS record. Prepare the source tenant before you migrate mailboxes from one tenant to another Office 365 and reset the default email address. Remove the licenses from source tenant and reset email addresses of distribution lists.
These are only the steps of preparation and the process to migrate the data is a whole new task. This sure seems like a difficult, complicated, and lengthy task. Most of the users do not prefer taking the manual method under consideration as it is a time-consuming method.
There are only two methods to perform the migration task as we have discussed in this write-up. You can easily understand the procedure to transfer the data without going through much trouble with the help of the software. Learn how to migrate mailboxes between Office 365 tenant and find out what is needed to prepare the data to perform the operation in the manual method.