Due to increasing popularity of Office 365, many users are deciding to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 due to business needs, cost effectiveness and business management issues. Easy management and configuration of MS Office is one of the major reason of Lotus Notes NSF to Office 365 migration. There could be multiple reasons due to which so many people are switching from NSF to Office 365. Some of the reasons are listed below:
1.Cloud based storage available on Office 365.
2.Complex management of the Lotus Domino.
3.Constantly rising maintenance cost of Domino server.
4.Users should have good technical knowledge.
5.Optimized features of Exchange server and client applications.
6.Money efficient Exchange environment.
Apart from above-mentioned reasons, there can be other reasons as well for people switching from Lotus Notes to Office 365.
Click here to download Simple & Quick Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migrator:
Easy manual steps to import Lotus Notes to Office 365
Now another question arises in our minds that how can we migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 mailbox. Below mentioned steps are a way to migrate Lotus Notes NSF to Office 365:
Step 1 – Create Backup
Before initializing the process of migration, make sure to create backup of NSF files using IMAP server. It is important because manual process can lead to data loss.
Step 2 – Create New Mailboxes
To perform migration, next step is to create new mailboxes for all Lotus Notes user profiles.
Step 3 – Enable IMAP
1. Select Domino Administration and click on Configuration. Then open server files that run IMAP configuration.
2. Enable the default TCP/IP port.
3. Then change the port values.
4. Set given fields as Enable right from the mail IMAP column.
5. Click on Save, after that Close and then Exit.
Step 4 – Connect to IMAP connector
For the synchronisation of email messages from NSF files to Office 365, use the IMAP connector.
IMAP connector is a program which enables user to create a transport channel between two IMAP email servers to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365.
This process can help the user to accomplish the migration of mailbox from Lotus Notes to Office 365 without the use of any third party tool.
Limitations of manual migration
There are several limitations associated with manual migration of the email mailboxes:
1. Make sure that NSF client enables to connect to the internet even if it is behind the proxy settings or firewalls.
2. IMAP connector do not allow to migrate the calendar entities, so they are to be migrated manually which may consume a lot of time.
3. IMAP connectors can migrate maximum of 1GB of data to Office 365.
4.For manual migration of Lotus Notes to Office 365, user should be technically sound.
Alternate method for Manual migration
Before starting the migration process, backup of the file is mandatory because there are chances that original file may get damaged during the conversion process.
This process goes through three steps:
Step 1 – Export Lotus Notes NSF file.
At first, we will export NSF file:
1. Open Lotus Notes and upload NSF file to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365.
2. Click on File and then click Export.
3. Select a storage location to save the file and then select Comma Separated Value or Structured Text in Save as type.
4. A dialog box pops up. Mark the required option and Select OK.
5. Type new name for the exported file and click on Export button.
Step 2 – Import the exported NSF file to Outlook.
After exporting the NSF file, we will import the exported NSF file into MS Outlook:
1. Open MS Outlook.
2. Click on File and then click on Import (Import and Export Wizard opens).
3. Select Import from another program or file and then click Next.
4. Select Comma Separated values (Windows) to export NSF file to Office 365
5. Browse the storage location of Exported NSF file and check Replace duplicates with item imported.
6. Select a folder where you want to import the data and then click Next (Import process begins).
7. As soon as it gets over, click Finish.
Step 3 – Import exported NSF file into Office 365 Cloud.
At last, we will import the exported NSF file into Office 365.
1. Copy the SAS URL and install Azure AzCopy.
2. Upload exported NSF files to Office 365.
3. Create a PST import mapping file.
4. Create a PST import job in Office 365.
The above mentioned method has its own limitations. While migrating Lotus Notes to Office 365, it export contacts only. So, for the migration of rest of data a reliable method is required with the help of which we can migrate all our data from Lotus Notes NSF to Office 365. Another limitation of this method is that when the user wants to access .cvs file in MS Outlook then there are high chances of file corruption.
Still facing difficulty to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365? If so, then here comes an all-rounder solution using the perfect third-party software.
Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migrator – An All-in-One Solution
In order to get rid from the multiple mind-scratching steps of manual method, it is best suggested to opt some reliable third-party tool like SysTools Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration tool. This tool incorporates the best set of features, which allows users to perform the migration process in a simplified way. It supports conversion from multiple NSF mailboxes to the destined Office 365 profile. It is capable to map canonical values from names.nsf file. Moreover, it can efficiently translate canonical name into SMTP format. Altogether it renders the best set of features that makes transfer IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365.
Due to the immense popularity of Office 365 among users, many of them are migrating from Lotus Notes to Office 365. Some reasons due to which people are switching between the email clients are Cloud based storage available on Office 365 and Complex management of the Lotus Domino. Two manual procedures for the same are discussed in the blog.