OneDrive or SkyDrive is a Microsoft cloud service that is built on Windows 8 operating system. It shows up in the file explorer next to all of the files on the hard drive of the computer system. OneDrive and OneDrive for business seem to be the same, but both are totally different. Because of some advanced features of OneDrive for business, a user wants to move files between OneDrive for business accounts. Let us describe both OneDrive and OneDrive for business in detail.
Basically, OneDrive is the personal online storage of user’s files. By using this, a user can organize their files or folders and access them anytime, anywhere. In addition, users can make OneDrive a dashboard to quickly jump to their emails, calendar, contacts or to create a new document on the web. Now, it is capable to store up to 15GB of data-free.
OneDrive for Business account uses a platform called SharePoint. It is used to give the place to store and work on documents with each member of the team. Therefore, it also provides the facility of more administration options for working with documents. Moreover, it does not require being on the cloud. It can be installed on the personal server.
Need to Transfer files Between OneDrive Accounts
Now, we have made a general comparison between OneDrive personal and OneDrive for business. Next, we will talk about why does a user needs to move files between OneDrive Accounts. There are many advanced features associated with OneDrive for business that forced users to transfer files from OneDrive to OneDrive for business. It is mentioned below:
- It is simple to transfer files between two OneDrive Accounts of small groups of collaborators.
- It can store data in the cloud where compliance & security can be enforced.
- Able to syncing files to mobile computers & other devices for working offline or remotely.
In these kinds of migration situations, it is recommended to use a professional utility i.e, OneDrive Migration Tool. This utility is a tried and tested solution for this type of data migration project in Microsoft 365.
Procedure to Move Files Between OneDrive to OneDrive for Business
Before Migrating OneDrive to OneDrive for business, make sure the source and destination OneDrive account must be impersonated. Thus, this migration process can be done in two steps:
Step 1: Configure impersonation
Step 2: Move files between OneDrive accounts for Business
Step 1: Configure Impersonation
1. First of all, configure the permission by SharePoint Online Management Shell Script
2. Then, download and open admin right.ps1 script in the Notepad or text editor
3. After that, browse the four variables and edit them which is mentioned below in brief:
- $o365login – It means that replace the Office 365 service account or administrator account by username.
- $o365pw – It means that replace the Office 365 service account or administrator account with a password.
- $spAdminURL – In this, replace the same URL used in any organization’s OneDrive URL, but at last, add the “admin” word.
- $spMyURL – In this, replace the same URL used in any organizations’ OneDrive URL, but at the last, add “my” word.
1. To start this process, first save and close the all script
2. Then, go to the SharePoint Online Management Shell which is installed in the first method & right-click on it to run this as Admin. But make sure to select Run as an administration option, otherwise, it will show errors.
Step 2: Migrate files between OneDrive for Business AccountsAfter performing above mentioned steps for impersonation purpose, you have to migrate files between OneDrive for business accounts by following these steps:
Step 1: First thing first download and launch the software. In this step, users need to select the migration platform in our condition select Office 365 as the source and the destination migration platform.Step 2: As we have to perform OneDrive migration, users need to check the document option given in this utility and also they need to enable the document permission.
Note: One of the most remarkable features of this software is the Date based filter provided, using it users can migrate data selectively according to the date.
Step 3: Now the users have to validate permissions by logging in with the credentials of Source and the destination Admin ID & Application ID. Then click Next.
Step 4: Create user group mapping and in order to create it the users have three options provided in this utility and those are: Fetch Users, Import Users, and Download Template. Users can select any of these options accordingly for mapping.
Step 5: Now after group mapping creation, users need to click on the validate button in order to move files between OneDrive for business account.
Step 6: After validating all the required permissions, click on the start migration button. The migration process will be started and in few minutes it would be accomplished.
As it is discussed, it is not manually possible to give permission for admin rights one by one for each user. So, in this article, an efficient method is discussed which is completely able to migrate OneDrive data to OneDrive business account. But, to move files between OneDrive accounts, it is necessary to configure the impersonation. It will help the users to manage the OneDrive impersonation for business permissions. Moreover, this is an error-free solution to move files between OneDrive for business accounts in very little time.