Both IBM Notes and Microsoft Outlook are the leading email communication platforms across the globe. Sometimes, there occurs the need to read their mailbox data in Microsoft Outlook. The users might face certain tricky situations while export contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. It requires proper conversion procedure which can be performed using both manual and automated solutions.
If a user is using Lotus Notes for some time, then you must have knowledge that it saves its mailbox data in NSF file. The email client also comes with a set of built-in utilities which enable users to configure the system as Web server along with email communication. However, Microsoft Outlook is one of the most popular email applications around the globe. It not only allows users to send and receive emails but also stores contacts, calendar, tasks and many other items. Outlook uses PST (Personal Storage Table) to save its mailbox data items. Before knowing the procedure, we will have a look at the most common reasons due to which users want to move towards Outlook.
Reasons to Transfer Lotus Notes Contacts to Outlook
There can be multiple reasons due to which an organization wants to move towards Microsoft Outlook. However, to switch the email application, a migration process is required which will help the user to export contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook. Please have a look:
- IBM Notes has higher installation and maintenance cost in comparison to Microsoft Outlook.
- Since Microsoft Outlook comes in a bundle with Office suite, therefore users don’t have to purchase it separately.
- Lotus Notes is more complex to use for new users as compared to Outlook.
- Outlook offers more set of features as compared to IBM Notes.
Export Contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook
The entire method to move address book is split into 2 steps. Step 1 includes the process to export contacts from IBM Notes and then in the second step, a user has to import Names.nsf to Outlook account.
Step 1 – Export Lotus Notes Contacts
- Run Lotus Notes and click on Contacts
2. Click on More from the menu bar and then click on Export contacts. The Export dialog box will appear
3. Now, to move all the contacts, choose “All contacts in this view” option
4. Select “All fields” option to export entire information of the contacts
5. Now, choose the directory where you want to save the contacts
6. In the “Save as type” field, choose CSV format to save the file
7. Then, click on Export button.
Step 2 – Import Lotus Notes Contacts to Outlook
- Run Microsoft Outlook. Click on “Open” button and then Import. The Import/Export wizard will appear
2. Here, select “Import from another program or file” option
3. Hit Next and the system will show Import a File option
4. Select “Comma Separated Values (Windows)” as the file type which you want to import
5. Click Browse option and select the CSV file which you extracted
6. Choose “Do not import duplicate items” in the options field and click Next
7. In the “Select destination folder” field, choose any of the available folders and click Next
8. Finally hit Finish button and the import process will start.
Limitations of Manual Procedure
While the above mentioned manual process is completely free of cost and lets users transfer all the contacts saved in IBM Notes. But it has limitations associated with it as it fails to move entire information like the mange and the logo information. Also, the above procedure to transfer names.nsf to Outlook can be a bit technical for some users. Therefore, there is a better option i.e. a professional solution which can complete the entire process in just a few clicks.
Professional Solution to Convert NSF Contacts to PST
The users who are not getting satisfactory results while using the manual method can go for the third-party software to overcome the limitations: SysTools Export Notes. It is an automated solution which allows users to transfer all mailbox items stored in NSF file such as emails, contacts, calendar, etc. It is packed with so many impressive features which makes it the best solution if you want to move Lotus Notes contacts to Outlook. Let us have a look at the advanced features offered by the software:
Note: Click Here to Know the Detailed Working Steps of the Tool
- Provides option to migrate Domino to Exchange
- Supports Lotus Notes to Office 365 conversion
- Offer users to map CN values from Names.nsf file
- Tool exports calendar along with the recurrences
- Option to translate the canonical name into SMTP format
- Interactive and simple user interface
Manual methods can be successful in scenarios where the data which is to be processed is small in size or isn’t critical. If you want your data to be safe from damage or accidental loss during the process to export contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 then you can opt for the third party software which makes the entire procedure secure and efficient.