Transaction log files play an important role in the smooth functioning of the Microsoft Exchange Server. They are used to keep record of each and every modification done in the database of Exchange server. Moreover, if there is any transaction which is not updated in the database and is also removed the log file then it can give rise to many errors. One such error is Unable to Mount Database mapiexceptioncallfailed. All such errors can hamper the working of the email client to some extent.
These errors can cause serious problems which should be resolved as soon as possible. Now, a question arises that how a user will fix Failed to mount Exchange database error in Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016. A user can rectify the issue by removing the log file. But, before starting the process, a user should ensure that the database is in consistent state. A user can accomplish the process by restoring data from backup or by using some third party application such as EDB to PST converter software which will help them to remove corruption from Exchange database.
Whenever a user tries to mount the database which is in inconsistent state, then the following error message is displayed:
Root Causes Behind Unable to Mount Database (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108)
A user might get this error due to three major factors which are discussed below:
- In some cases, the reason behind the error is the missing transaction log files which are not written to the Microsoft Exchange database. It results in the inconsistency of the DB and generates Failed to mount Database error.
- Another major cause is when the Exchange Server DB is not shut down in a proper way due to any possible reason. It will move the DB into the dirty shutdown state and will display the unable to mount Exchange database (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108) error code mapiexceptioncallfailed.
- If the user finds that any of the above reason is not responsible behind the issue, then there are chances that the Exchange DB file is damaged due to which the user is getting the error.
Moreover, if the database is shutdown properly then ensure that you move all the log files and both the checkpoint files to some other location and try remounting the DB again.
Resolve Unable to Mount Database Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010 Manually
A user has to move the transaction log files to other folder location to rectify the issue. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- First, stop the Information Store and the existing databases from the storage group.
2. Then, check the integrity of DB by running eseutil/mh utility. It should be followed by the name of the DB. Now, examine the State value under the header information.
3. If the Microsoft Exchange database is in clean shutdown state i.e. consistent, then the user can move the transaction log files easily and save them into a different folder. Please take care that the log file is not deleted or lost.
4. If the Exchange Database is in inconsistent state i.e. Dirty shutdown state, then the user have to restore data from its backup. However, if the backup is not valid then the next option is to perform soft recovery using eseutil/r command.
Users can execute the above mentioned procedure to remove Failed to mount database in Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016. If this process fails to rectify the issue, then the users can perform hard recovery using eseutil/p command. However, using this command can cause data loss as it removes damaged pages from the Exchange DB. Therefore, users can try a foolproof solution i.e. a third party tool to remove corruption from database file in a secure and reliable way.
Expert Solution to Fix Unable to Mount Database mapiexceptioncallfailed Error Code
If a user is facing the issue continuously and fails to resolve the error using the above mentioned manual method. Then, the user is suggested to opt for a third party tool. It enables users to perform Exchange Mailbox Recovery easily without any data loss. Using this application, users can easily export their DB file into Outlook supported PST file format. The exported file can be accessed in Microsoft Outlook which will help users to retrieve entire mailbox data. Some of the advanced features of the tool are discussed below:
- Option to scan several EDB files in one go
- Remove corruption from Exchange DB file
- Creates Unicode PST file while exporting
- Provides preview of emails in 9 view modes
- Option to export emails in 7 file formats
- Supports Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 & their lower versions
Any type of error in Microsoft Exchange Server Database is very crucial as it can hamper the smooth functioning of the email application. One such issue is Unable to Mount database error code mapiexceptioncallfailed (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108) in Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. In this article, we have explained the root causes and the methods to resolve failed to mount database issue.